Create patron accounts
Create a patron account
If your library uses basic (local) authentication, you have the ability to create new patron accounts through the WorldShare Admin interface.
Note: This feature is not supported for libraries using third-party authentication. Libraries using LDAP, SAML/Shibboleth, CAS or another third-party provider must perform ongoing patron loads in order to add new patron accounts to Tipasa.
Required fields may vary, depending on the services your library subscribes to. Additionally, if you are using a third-party authentication system, you will not see the Identity Management section.
Follow the account naming conventions used by your institution when creating user names. If you are creating accounts for your staff members, make sure you tell them their user name soon after you create the account. They will need their user name to create a password.
To create a patron account:
- Click the Admin tab.
- On the left navigation, under User Management, click New User.
- On the Basic User Data panel, OCLC recommends filling in the following fields:
Some libraries have additional required fields (those with Circulation functionality and others):
- First Name: Highly recommended.
- Address, Phone Number, or Email Address: Email is highly recommended. The patron needs an email address to create a password for their account.
- User Name (or Barcode): Required. If you cannot edit or do not see the User Name field, type in the Barcode field.
- Home Branch: Required for some. Select the user's preferred branch from the list.
- Patron Type: Required for some. Select the patron type from the list.
- Click Create.
- On the confirmation window, click OK. The patron account appears.
- To prompt the patron to set a password for their account, click Set/reset in the Identity Management section, if available, or direct the patron to go to your library's WorldShare URL and click Set/reset password on the Sign In screen.
Basic User Data fields
Libraries using basic authentication can create patron and staff accounts in WorldShare Admin. These fields that appear in the Basic User Data section, which can be filled out when creating or editing a patron account. Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
The user must have an email address entered in order to set or reset a password.
For setting and resetting passwords:
- The user must have a valid email address entered in either the Delivery Notification or Library Record section of the user record to set or reset a password.
- If an email address is entered in the Delivery Notification section of the user record, this email address is used for the setting and resetting of a password for a user account. If there is no Email entry in the Delivery Notification section, the email entered in the Library Record is used.
For WorldShare Circulation notifications:
- If an email address is entered in the Delivery Notification section of the user record and the Use patron-supplied email for notifications is enabled in the relevant Patron Type Policy, the Delivery Notification email address is used for Circulation notifications. Otherwise, the Email under Library Record is used for WorldShare Circulation notifications.
If you do not use WorldShare Circulation, you are not required to fill out the fields in this section. Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are only required if you use WorldShare Circulation.
Follow your library's procedures for barcode assignment. If you enter a duplicate barcode, you will get an error message when you try to save the record. Depending on your institution's configuration, Barcode and User Name may be linked.
Barcodes are case-sensitive when searching for users.
Blocked users have their circulation privileges suspended. Select the check box to block the user. You can create a staff note to indicate the reason for the block. See Add notes about a user for details.
If you have circulation policies set up in OCLC Service Configuration, the system will automatically prohibit patrons from performing circulation functions like checking out items and placing holds based on the limits you set for certain policies. Selecting the Blocked? check box manually blocks a patron. System blocks do not cause this option to be selected.
|Collection Exempt||Reserved for future functionality.|
Select the user's preferred branch from the list. The home branch selected here will be the default pickup location when placing a hold for the user.
The home branch may also be used in Location Policy, which is set in OCLC Service Configuration (WMS Circulation > Location Policy). For more information, see Location Policy.
The ID Verified? check box indicates the user has shown a form of identification that is required when creating an account. The check box is selected automatically. Deselect the check box to mark the user as unverified.
Whether a user is verified or unverified may have an effect on their loan limits and hold limits based on what you set in OCLC Service Configuration (WMS Circulation > Loan Limit Policy or Hold Limit Policy). For more information, see Loan Limit Policy and Hold Limit Policy.
Select a Patron Type from the list.
Patron Type Policies are created in OCLC Service Configuration (WMS Circulation > Patron Type Policy). For information on creating Patron Type Policies, see Patron Type Policy.
|Registration Date||Date the user is registered in the system|
Select the Approved? check box if the patron has been approved for interlibrary loan requests. If you do not have patron approval turned on, you are not required to approve patrons.
Select the Blocked? check box to block the patron from placing interlibrary loan requests.
If you use, this is not the same as a patron being prohibited from performing circulation functions in the system because of the circulation policies you have set up in Service Configuration.
The patron's patron type.
|SMS Messaging / Telephone Number||
The patron's phone number where they will be receiving SMS notifications about their interlibrary loan requests. Patrons must select to receive updates by text message in their account in My Account.
The email address of the patron where they will receive notifications about their interlibrary loan and circulation requests.
For setting and resetting passwords:
WorldShare Circulation does not allow individual patrons to opt out of email notices when the patron has a valid email address on record.
The Send Updates? check box will be selected if the patron has opted to receive updates about their interlibrary loan requests through email, SMS, or both.
|Send Email Updates?||
The Send Email Updates? check box will be selected if the patron has opted to receive email updates.
Communication preferences for more information.Note: Patrons will still receive email notification unless they have opted out in My Account. See
|Send SMS Updates?||
The Send SMS Updates? check box will be selected if the patron has opted to receive SMS updates.
If you are using a third-party identity management system, this section will not appear.
|Inactive||Inactive users cannot sign in to the system. Select the check box to mark the user as inactive.|
|User Name||User name of the user. The User Name is used to sign in to the system. Depending on your institution's configuration, Barcode* and User Name may be linked.|
|Password Expiration Date||The date the password will expire. The date will reset when the password is changed.|