You can create a WorldCat bibliographic record in MARC 21 using a material type template based on Anglo-American Cataloging Rules (AACR2) or Resource Description and Access (RDA).
Prepopulated defaults and values
When creating a record with a material type template, the system prepopulates these defaults in the new record:
- Field 040 — subfields a and c containing your institution symbol and a blank subfield b
- MARC fixed fields — defaults to values appropriate to the type of record.
Depending on your cataloging profile (LC, Dewey, etc.), the system also creates the applicable variable fields:
- Call number field — a blank 055, 070, 080, 086, 090, 092 or 096 field.
- Field 049 — prepopulated with the default holding library code. See Set the default holding library code for MARC 21 records.
Inserting delimiter characters in fields
When updating bibliographic record fields, workarounds may be necessary for the inclusion of certain special characters and symbols.
- The US dollar sign symbol ($) is used as a delimiter to indicate a new subfield in Record Manager, and must be replaced by two dollar sign symbols ($$) if included as a non-delimiter. Example: To use the stylized title Ca$h in a 245 field, it would entered as Ca$$h.
Watch a video
Original cataloging in Record Manager
Run time: 9:26
This video covers the mechanics of using WorldShare Record Manager to add original bibliographic records to WorldCat, including deriving a new record from an existing record and creating a record from a blank MARC workform.
Create a WorldCat bibliographic record in MARC 21 with a material type template
- In the left navigation, click Create Record.
- Verify that the Data Type, Record Editor, and Format defaults are correct. If not, select the applicable option(s).
Note: Data Type, Record Editor, and Format defaults are set in User Preferences > Working with records.
- From the Material Type drop-down list, select a material type.
- Computer file
- Continuing resources
- Mixed material
- Sound recording
- Visual material
- (Optional) From the Constant Data Record Name drop-down menu, select a saved bibliographic constant data record to be automatically applied to the new bibliographic record. This menu contains an auto-suggest text field. Auto-suggestions for available bibliographic constant data records start with the first keystroke in the text field.
- Click Create. The MARC editor screen opens with your new record.
If you selected a saved bibliographic constant data record, a confirmation message will appear with the name of the applied constant data record and the field(s) overlayed from the constant data record.
- Update the bibliographic record with your institution's information.
- From the Save drop-down menu, select one of the following:
- Add Record to WorldCat - Adds the record to WorldCat
- Add Record and Set WorldCat Holding - Adds the record to WorldCat and sets a WorldCat holding by adding your library's OCLC institution symbol to the record
- Add Record and Set Holding Audience Level (WMS libraries only) - Adds the record to WorldCat and allows the user to set an audience holding level. Only audience levels that are enabled in the Institution Settings will be displayed in the dropdown
Note: An audience level can only be set or changed for a bibliographic record if no LHRs are linked to that bibliographic record.
- If there are any errors in the record, an error message will appear. Correct the errors and repeat steps 6 and 7.