Create WorldCat bibliographic records
Discover how to create a bibliographic record from the MARC 21 editor in WorldShare Record Manager.
You can create a WorldCat bibliographic record in MARC 21 using a material type template based on Anglo-American Cataloging Rules (AACR2) or Resource Description and Access (RDA).
Prepopulated defaults and values
When creating a record with a material type template, the system prepopulates these defaults in the new record:
- Field 040 — subfields a and c containing your institution symbol and a blank subfield b
- MARC fixed fields — defaults to values appropriate to the type of record.
Depending on your cataloging profile, the system also prepopulates these variable fields with default values:
- Call number field— 055, 070, 080, 086, 090, 092 or 096.
- Field 049 — default holding library code.
Watch a video
Original cataloging in Record Manager (9:26)
This video covers the mechanics of using WorldShare Record Manager to add original bibliographic records to WorldCat, including deriving a new record from an existing record and creating a record from a blank MARC workform.
Create a WorldCat bibliographic record in MARC 21 with a material type template
- In the left navigation, click Create Record.
- Verify that the Data Type, Record Editor, and Format defaults are correct. If not, select the applicable option(s).
Note: Data Type, Record Editor, and Format defaults are set in User Preferences > Working with records.
- From the Material Type drop-down list, select a material type.
- Computer file
- Continuing resources
- Mixed material
- Sound recording
- Visual material
- (Optional) From the Constant Data Record Name drop-down menu, select a saved bibliographic constant data record to be automatically applied to the new bibliographic record. This menu contains an auto-suggest text field. Auto-suggestions for available bibliographic constant data records start with the first keystroke in the text field.
- Click Create. The MARC editor screen opens with your new record.
If you selected a saved bibliographic constant data record, a confirmation message will appear with the name of the applied constant data record and the field(s) overlayed from the constant data record.
- Update the bibliographic record with your institution's information.
- From the Save drop-down menu, select one of the following:
- Add Record to WorldCat - Adds the record to WorldCat
- Add Record and Set WorldCat Holding - Adds the record to WorldCat and sets a WorldCat holding by adding your library's OCLC institution symbol to the record
- If there are any errors in the record, an error message will appear. Correct the errors and repeat steps 6 and 7.