Add metadata only if you have metadata that you want to load into a collection. You may be outsourcing scanning of images or the metadata may be important enough to have in the collection before the images are ready to be loaded.
Adding metadata only requires the use of a tab-delimited text file. For information about tab-delimited text files, see Using Tab-delimited text files.
Add metadata only
- Navigate to the Home tab or Project tab.
- On the left task pane under Common Tasks, click Add Multiple Items. The Add Multiple Items wizard opens.
- On the Import Method screen, select Import using a tab-delimited text file and browse for the file.
- Click Open and then click Next. The Import Type screen displays.
- Select Import Metadata Only and then click Next. The Map Metadata screen displays.
- Map the fields in your CONTENTdm collection to the imported field names. The imported field names from your tab-delimited text file appear in the left column. See About mapping fields for more information on mapping fields.
- When checking the map fields menu, confirm that the file name is mapped to None.
- Click Next. The Confirm Settings screen displays.
- Review the settings and then click Add Items.
- A progress screen displays as the items are processed. When complete, a summary screen displays the summary and any errors or warnings.
- Click Close. The items are displayed in the project spreadsheet.
See Troubleshooting tab-delimited text files for help resolving problems.
For imported metadata, the thumbnail that is used by default in the project spreadsheet is the same thumbnail used for a URL.
Project Settings Manager to change the thumbnail used for URLs or metadata only.Note: Use the Images and Thumbnails section of the