Most journal suppliers and publishers will supply sample issues on demand and it is possible to record these as order items on OLIB. The process allows a serial order to be flagged as a sample copy order, and to record that it has been received. The serial title for which a sample copy is required must be catalogued (this can be assimilated into the ordering process).
Sample copy orders are identical to normal subscription orders except that the Sample Copy field should be set to Yes:
- Order the serial title as normal (create an order, create an order item, link the title to the order item).
- Complete the order details and other fields as required. Ensure that the Sample Copy flag is set to Yes.
- The Subscription Start and End Date fields should not be completed.
- There is no need to allocate any funds as sample issues are normally free of charge.
- Save the order item record and make the order Outstanding.
- When the sample issue is received, go to Order Items and use On Approval/Sample Copy Order Items search.
- Select the item and choose Receive Sample Copy Item from the available Actions.
- In the new page, enter e.g. 1 in No.Received and save the record. The search will now show that the item has been received.
- If it is later decided to reject this journal, use On Approval/Sample Copy Order Items again.
- Select the item again and choose Reject Sample Copy Item.
- In order to process the rejection, the No. Rejected must be deleted and re-entered.
- Save the record and it will be cancelled.
If it is decided to subscribe to a journal on the basis of this sample issue, the subscription should be processed as normal.
Back copy and single issue ordering
The procedure for back copy and single issue ordering is to place an order for the particular back copy/copies, and to generate those issues when they are received. You can then check them in and complete the order.
For example 2 subscriptions to History Today currently exist &endash; for Site A and Site B. There is a substantial back holding at Site A &endash; but Site B only has Vol 103 2001 onwards. Vol 102 2000 is to be ordered for Site B.
- Create an order record as normal.
- In New Order Items, click Add to display the order items page.
- Search for the Title of the Serial and insert it to the Order Item. This now displays a layout specific to Serials.
- Insert fuller details of the required back copies either in the Order details field, or as a Note. Ensure that the Location is set correctly.
- Add the financial details as normal and save the order item record.
- Make the order Outstanding and save the order record.
- When the back copies arrive, go to the Management sheet of the Serial Title record to generate them. Modify the title and enter the new details as required.
- Save the record and click Pre-generate to check that the details are correct.
- Once the pre-generated issues are confirmed as correct, then in the Management page select the Serial Copy record for the location of the back issues and choose Generate Issues (Selected) from available Actions.
- The issues are generated and in the Check in domain a search will show that the back issues are ready to be processed.
- When checking in a list of back copies, it is useful to remember that Automatic Check-in is a multiple item function, i.e. it can be applied to a list of items. Select all the issues to be checked in and choose Automatic Check in from available Actions. All 12 issues will now be checked in together.