Use an advanced search to perform a more in-depth search than a basic search allows to find bibliographic and local bibliographic data. You can combine up to five indexes and apply limits to retrieve a more precise set of search results.
Perform an advanced search
- On the left navigation, click Advanced Search.
- From the Search Scope drop-down list, select a search scope.
- Select My Library Holdings if you already have at least one copy of the item.
- Select All WorldCat if you do not own any copies of the item.
- Select an Index from the list. See Searching WorldCat Indexes for more information on available indexes.
- Based on the index you selected, enter your search terms into the text field. The text field will expand to fit your search terms, if needed.
- (Optional). Enter up to five combinations of indexes and search terms:
- Click the Add button () to add an index and the Remove button () to remove an index.
- Select a Boolean operator (AND, OR, NOT) for each index that you add.
- (Optional). Fill out the remaining fields. See Advanced search settings below for details.
- Click Search.
Advanced search settings
This table describes all of the fields you can use on the Advanced Search window (you are not required to fill in all the fields):
|Abbreviated-level records only||Select the check box to search for bibliographic records in WorldCat with an encoding level of 3. For more information on encoding levels, see Abbreviated-level cataloging guidelines in Bibliographic Formats and Standards.|
|Format(s)||Select one or more formats from the list. Format is defined in the WorldCat record. For more information, see Material Type Names and Codes.|
|Language(s)||Language of the item. Select one or more languages from the list.|
|Language(s) of Cataloging||Language used for the description of the item. Select one or more languages from the list.|
|Limit Results to||Select one or more of the following record type limit checkboxes:
|Reset||Click Reset to clear out all fields on the Advanced Search window. If you have set your advanced search user preferences, the search will reset to your default preferences.|
|Source of Cataloging||Select the source of cataloging from the list:
|Year(s)||Limits search by year. Enter a single year or a range.|