About adding knowledge base collections
To see the collections in the global knowledge base, browse the collections available in the WorldCat knowledge base (updated monthly). Alternatively, perform a search in Collection Manager to return all available collections. Deselect My Selected Collections and click Search.
- When to select a knowledge base collection in full (the entire collection)
Select a knowledge base collection in full if it is available in the global WorldCat knowledge base and the entirety of the collection titles match your subscription.
- When to modify a collection to select your subset of titles
Modify a knowledge base collection if it is available in the global WorldCat knowledge base and your library subscribes to a subset of the titles in the collection.
If your library subscribes to a subset of the titles in a collection, you can modify the collection. You have the following options for selecting the collection:
- Select the titles individually via the Titles drop-down in the collection.
- Modify the title selections, coverage and other title data to match your library-specific holdings one title at a time within the interface or in bulk by modifying the KBART-formatted spreadsheet and uploading your modified file.
- When to create a knowledge base collection
If a collection your library needs is not already represented in the global WorldCat knowledge base data, create a knowledge base collection in Collection Manager using the steps on this page. For example, if your library has a niche or unique electronic collection, you can create the collection.
Find instructions to create knowledge base collections for print serials or represent databases:
For some collections, OCLC and your provider can automatically add and maintain your library-specific collection data. See Providers and contacts for automatic collection loading for more information.
OCLC Support with examples.Caution: Once you have requested to have your collections selected automatically, do not add, delete, or update any of the titles within the collection. If there is an issue with the titles selected or missing from your collection, please contact
For other methods to add knowledge base collections, see Choose a method to add or create a knowledge base collection.
Watch a video
Select and modify WorldCat knowledge base collections
Run time: 12:28
This video demonstrates how to use the WorldShare Collection Manager application to select and modify WorldCat knowledge base collections, as well as modifying these collections using the KBART file method.
Select an entire knowledge base collection in full
Search for a knowledge base collection
- Navigate to the WorldShare interface > Metadata tab > Collection Manager.
- Select Collection as the Data Type from the drop-down list.
- Select a scope to limit your search. Options include:
- My Selected Collections: Search across your library-specific collections that you have created or selected.
- All Collections: Search across items that are available in the global collections available in the WorldCat knowledge base and collections you have created.
- Not Selected Collections: Search for collections to add to your knowledge base that are not currently selected.
- In the Search Term(s) field, enter your terms or leave the field empty.
- Click Search.
- After search results are returned, you can filter your results by using the Filter by drop-down list at the top of the search results:
institution settings and your library's subscription level.Note: Filter options will appear based on
- Collection Type - From the second drop-down list, select a collection type.
- Cataloging Partner Collections
- Databases (Contains No Titles)
- Knowledge Base Collections
- Query Collections
- Collections I Created
- Contains Open Access Content
- Demand Driven Acquisitions Collections
- Document Delivery Collections
- Google Scholar - From the second drop-down list, select enabled or disabled.
- Maintain WorldCat Holdings - From the second drop-down list, select enabled or disabled.
- MARC Record Delivery - From the second drop-down list, select enabled or disabled.
- OCLC Cataloged Collections
- Sharing - From the second drop-down list, select an option.
- Collections Shared By My Library
- Collections Shared To My Library
- Use Proxy
- Collection Type - From the second drop-down list, select a collection type.
- (Optional) Add additional filters by using the green plus add icon ().
- Click Filter to filter the results based on your specifications.
Search for cataloging partner collections
Search for cataloging partner collections that you have already created:
- Navigate to the search box in Collection Manager.
- Select Collection as the Data Type and My Selected Collections as the Scope.
- Click Search. The search will return all of the collections your library has selected or created.
- Select Cataloging Partner Collections from the Filter by drop-down list.
Search for OCLC cataloged collections
To find additional information about this collection type, see OCLC cataloged collections.
Filter for OCLC cataloged collections
- In the WorldShare interface, navigate to Metadata > Collection Manager.
- Select Collection as the Data Type and All Collections as the Scope.
- Leave the search box empty and click Search.
- To filter the search results, choose OCLC Cataloged Collections from the drop-down list and click Filter.
Collection search results
Items in your search results will be marked with a collection type and other details.
- Collection search results in Collection Manager - Table
Collection type Column Description Cataloging partner collections, Knowledge base collections, and Query collections Collection Click a collection name to view or edit the collection.
The Collection ID can be used in lieu of a collection name when discontinuing a feed.
Type / Attributes
The type of collection.
- Cataloging partner collection - Available attributes
Attribute Description MARC Delivery Enabled The collection has the setting to Enable MARC Record Delivery enabled. MARC Delivery Disabled The collection has the setting to Enable MARC Record Delivery disabled.
- Knowledge base collection - Available attributes
Attribute Description Demand Driven Acquisitions The collection is part of a Demand Driven Acquisitions program where OCLC is working with a feed from the provider to automatically update the collection metadata. Discontinued The collection is no longer being actively maintained or updated by knowledge base data updates. Document Delivery The collection is available for user with your library’s document delivery program. Google Scholar Disabled The titles in the collection are not submitted to Google to create links in Google Scholar. See Google Scholar for more information. Google Scholar Enabled The titles in the collection are submitted to Google to create links in Google Scholar. See Google Scholar for more information. License(s) Available The collection has licenses available. Click License(s) Available to see the status of the license (current, expired, etc.). For more information, see Edit, renew, or terminate a license. Locally Created The collection is a custom collection created by your institution. OCLC Cataloged The collection is cataloged by OCLC staff and made available through Collection Manager by the provider. Open Access The collection is an open-access collection.
- Query collection - Available attributes
Attribute Description One-time delivery You will receive a file of records for the WorldCat query collection once. Ongoing delivery You will receive records on an ongoing basis. Provider The vendor or content provider who supplies the collection. Click a provider name to view all collections supplied by the provider. Updated The date and time the collection was last updated. Selections
Indicates whether the collection has been added to your holdings and, if it has, how many titles from the collection are in your holdings.
To remove a cataloging partner collection and/or knowledge base collection from your holdings, click Deselect.
To remove a query collection from your holdings, click Delete.
Sharing Indicates whether you have shared the collection with another institution.
To view the libraries you shared the collection with, click the collection's name. Once you are in the collection, click the Sharing accordion.
Click Add to... to:
- Add the collection to a license (click Add to... > License)
- Create a new order (click Add to... > Order)
- Add the collection to a purchase request without leaving Collection Manager (click Add to... > Purchase Request)
View or download title information
To view the titles in the collection and compare them to those in your subscription:
- From the search results list, click on the name of the collection to open the collection.
- Expand the Titles accordion.
- You can view the titles in the following ways:
- View the titles in the interface, and/or
- Use the Collection Actions drop-down list to select Download Titles in this collection.
For instructions to download the file, see the More Actions section of the Collection-level settings in knowledge base collections.
Select a collection
To select a collection in full:
- From the search results list, you will see collection data for each result such as: collection name, type/attributes, provider, and the number of titles selected over the number of titles in the collection (For example: 0/2,519).
- From the Selections column, use the Select all Titles button to select all titles in the collection.
- Libraries with WorldShare Acquisitions will also see an Add to button allowing you to add the item to an Order or Purchase Request.
- After selecting the collection, a Locked for re-indexing message will appear to alert you that the titles in the collection are being indexed.
It can take up to 24 hours for re-indexing to complete and large files can take longer to process.