About the Connexion client main window
The main window is what you see when you open the client interface to OCLC Connexion. By default, it displays:
- A title bar with standard buttons to minimize, maximize, restore, or close the window.
- Menus containing the commands you use to make selections or open windows (dialogs) for performing cataloging activities.
- A main client toolbar containing a selection of toolbar buttons corresponding to often-used menu commands
- A Search WorldCat command line text box
- Two quick tool drop-down lists, one for text strings and one for user tools
- Work area (a blank gray space) where client windows and record and list windows open.
- Status bar, which displays information about the current online session and/or about the displayed record to help you keep track of your work.
Use menus, toolbar buttons, or keystroke shortcuts
You can do most actions in the client in any of these ways:
- Click a command on a menu.
- Click a toolbar button that corresponds to a menu command.
- Press the keystroke equivalent to a menu command (whether a default keystroke or one you define).
Example: To export records:
- Click Action > Export.
- Click the Export button ().
- Press <F5>.
- Click Action > Export.
The toolbar also contains quick tools to complete several tasks directly from the toolbar instead of using a menu command:
- WorldCat Quick Search tool - Use the following text box on the toolbar to enter a full syntax command line WorldCat search without having to open the Search WorldCat window. Click the adjacent Search WorldCat icon to send the search.
- Quick tools for text strings and user tools - Apply and manage text strings and user tools directly from the appropriate quick tool on the toolbar:
Click an arrow to open a list and select/apply a text string or user tool, or click Manage on the list to open the Text Strings or User Tools windows to create, change, or delete text strings or user tools.
- By default, the WorldCat search box and quick tools for text strings and user tools display on the toolbar. Navigate to View > Toolbars to hide or re-display them (or to hide or re-display the main client toolbar).
Click a link below for a description of commands on a menu and the equivalent toolbar buttons and keystroke shortcuts:
The Connexion client ships with default toolbars. The main client toolbar contains a default selection of most often used buttons. However, you can:
The client ships with default keystroke shortcuts, which you can view or print after installing (View > Assigned Keys), or customize keystroke shortcuts.
Show or hide the status bar
To toggle between showing or hiding the status bar, navigate to View > Status Bar. A check mark next to Status Bar indicates that the status bar displays.
Default: Status bar displays.
Show or hide toolbars
To toggle between showing or hiding toolbars, navigate to View > Toolbars and then click one of the following:
- WorldCat Quick Search
- Quick Tools
A check mark next to the menu item indicates that the toolbar displays.
Default: All toolbars display.
Note: For purposes of showing and hiding, the two quick tools for text strings and user tools are a single unit.
Stored settings for the main window
The client stores your customizations of the main window. Your settings are retained each time you open or update the program.