Discover how to create an authority constant data record from a workform in Connexion client.
Caution: If you save a constant data record from the local file to the online constant data file and the record name already exists in the online file, you receive an error message. You cannot change the name to make it unique. Instead, derive a new constant data record (Edit > Derive > New Constant Data, or <Ctrl><I>) and assign a new name.
- Logged on or offline, click Authorities > Create > Constant Data or press <Ctrl><Shift><N>.
- In the Create a New Constant Data dialog in the Workform Type list, select a format for the new constant data record.
- Blank Record (default)
- Conference Name
- Corporate Name
- Personal Name
- Uniform Title
- Click OK or press <Enter>, or click Cancel. The new constant data record opens.
- Enter content you want to reuse in authority records.
- To insert empty fields or elements via constant data - In the constant data record, include the appropriate tag or label and enter a few characters in the content area. Constant data does not retain empty fields/ elements.
- To retain empty subfields in variable fields - If variable fields in a constant data record include subfields that contain valid values, the subfields remain in the field added to the authority record.
To keep empty subfield codes in a variable field, after each subfield code enter |BLANK| (a vertical bar character, the uppercase letters BLANK, and then another vertical bar).
When you apply the constant data, the subfield code (followed by a space) appears in the added variable field.
- Protect fixed-field elements in records - If you select to apply the fixed field when you apply constant data, by default, the fixed field overwrites the fixed field in a record. You can prevent a specific element in the fixed field from being replaced:
- In the constant data record, enter asterisks (*) in the text field for the element. Enter one asterisk for each character of the element value.
- For example, to preserve the value for the Lang element in authority records, enter *** in the Lang element of the constant data record.
- Click Action > Save Record to Online File or press <Ctrl><Alt><V> (available only if you are logged on).
Click Action > Save Record to Local File or press <F4>.
- In the Enter Constant Data Information dialog:
- Enter a descriptive name for the new record.
- (Optional) Select the Make Default Constant Data check box to make the new record the default. If you check the box to make the record the default, the Fields to Apply dialog opens. Select which MARC fields you want to apply when you use the record:
- Fixed field
- Variable fields
- (Optional for local file records) In the My Status text field, enter a word or phrase that will help you identify the record easily (maximum of 40 characters, free text). To change the My Status later, open the record, and click Action > Set Status or press <Alt><Shift><S>.
- You can assign a My Status to an online constant data record, but the system simply deletes it when you save the record online.
- If multiple staff people work with constant data records in the same file (online or local), you can assign your name as My Status for the records. To retrieve only your constant data records, limit searching by My Status [your name].
- Click OK or press <Enter>, or click Cancel.
- The system adds the new authority constant data record to your institution's constant data file.
- The system redisplays the authority constant data record with empty fields removed.
- If you save the record to the online file, the record closes.
- If you save the record to the local file, the record remains open.