This process produces a set of expected serial issues that will be used for future check in.
- The issue generation parameters should first be completed and tested by pregenerating issues. When the pregenerated issues are correct, the real issues can be generated.
- One or more Serial Copies must exist. If you placed a subscription order for a particular Title, Serial Copy records are created automatically when you authorise the order, one for each copy ordered. These will already be displayed in the serial title's Management page when you come to generate issues. If not, you can easily create a serial copy record manually by clicking Add in Serial Copies.
- In the Serial Titles record, switch to modify.
- In the Management page, select one or more serial copy records.
- Choose an Action from the box:
- Generate Issues (All): Creates issue copy records for each issue it generates for all serial copy records associated with the serial title. If you are a single site library, or a multi-site library working together, you would use this Action all the time.
- Generate Issues (Selected): Creates issue copy records for each issue it generates for the serial copy records you selected in the Serial Copies field. If you are a multi-site library where each site is responsible for generating its own issues and issue copies, you should use this method.
This generates the issues in accordance with the issue generation parameters and displays a message to confirm that the issue generation process was completed successfully. The new issues are displayed in the Issues list box at the bottom of the Management page. From OLIB 9 Service Pack 6 they are sorted in descending order.
Note: OLIB checks to see whether it has already generated an issue or an issue copy before generating it. If you accidentally (or intentionally) re-run the issue generation process for all or selected serial copies, duplicate issues and/or issue copies will not be generated.
It may be necessary to delete one or more issue titles, e.g. if it is known that a specific issue will not be published. This action deletes all the issues you have selected in the Issues list box, plus their related copy and issue copy records.
- Select one or more issues to be deleted.
- Choose the relevant Action from the box. The Delete options are:
- Delete selected issue titles
- Delete from here upwards: This includes the selected issue and all those above it
- Delete from here downwards: This includes the selected issue and all those below it
A message is displayed to confirm that the issue records have been deleted.
Ongoing issue generation
If required, configure OLIB to generate subsequent issues automatically, as part of the overnight daystart process.
- Navigate to Serials> Serial Copies. A parameter in this record initiates the automatic issue generation process at the appropriate time.
- Ensure the Autogenerate? flag is set to Yes.
This means that once the expected date of the last issue generated is reached, more issues will be generated. If you require this to happen in advance, you can enter a minus figure (in days) in the Autogenerate Days field, e.g. -30 means that the next batch of issues will be generated about a month before the last one of the previous batch is expected. If you leave this field blank, new issues will auto-generate on the date the last issue is expected.
Note: The Problem log reports on serial copies that are failing to generate issues. The Serial Copies domain includes a Serial Copy No. search box to help you track down problem copies.