►Circulation Reference Data> Circulation Messages
Most circulation transactions carried out at the Circ. Desk in OLIB will be straightforward issues, returns or renewals. However, for each transaction the underlying parameters and reference data tables are checked for exceptions.
If an exception is found for a user or an item, a circulation message will be displayed, prompting a response. In some cases you can choose whether or not to proceed with the transaction .
|Message Text (OLIB Web)||CMC Code||Display in OLIB Web If Raised||Allow Override in OLIB Web If Raised||Allow Issue in OPAC If Raised||Allow Return in OPAC If Raised||Allow Renewal in OPAC If Raised||Allow Reservation in OPAC If Raised|
|...and should be returned so that it is held. Continuing will renew the item.||cmc052||Y||Y|
|A non-loan return cannot be performed on a copy that is on loan||cmc039||Y||N|
|A user is not needed for a non-loan return||cmc053||Y||Y|
|Cannot issue or renew this item to this user because his/her account expires within the loan period and there are no open days between now and the account expiry date||cmc073||Y||N||N||N||N|
|Copy doesn't exist||cmc055||Y||N||N||N||N||N|
|Copy <CBARC> has been held for <BNAME> (<BBARC> - <BLOCLD>)||cmc082||Y||N||N||Y||N||Y|
|Copy has traps||cmc031||Y||Y|
|Copy is already on loan to this user||cmc023||Y||N|
|Copy is held - require user barcode||cmc040||Y||Y|
|Copy is held for||cmc041||Y||Y||N||N|
|Copy is marked for withdrawal||cmc017||Y||Y|
|Copy is on loan to another user. Continuing will return the item from the other user and issue it to this user||cmc018||Y||Y|
|Copy is on recall||cmc038||Y||Y|
|Copy is unavailable||cmc016||Y||Y|
|Error in GetBorrowerTraps||cmc033||N||Y|
|Issuing will remove the hold and reinstate the reservation as an activated reservation||cmc042||Y||Y|
|Manually set return date is after user's expiry date||cmc043||Y||Y|
|Return date is after the users expiry date. Setting to expiry date||cmc006||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|The In Transit From and To Locations are the same. Is this what you intended?||cmc036||Y||Y|
|The copy is not on loan to be renewed||cmc008||Y||N||N|
|The copy is not on loan to be returned||cmc007||Y||N||N|
|The copy is on loan, but not to this user. NB - if you continue, the item will be returned from the user it is currently on loan to||cmc010||Y||Y|
|The user does not have any items on loan to renew||cmc027||Y||N|
|The user has made the maximum number of seen renewals for this user||cmc009||Y||Y||N|
|The user has made the maximum number of seen renewals for this user category||cmc046||Y||Y|
|The user has made the maximum number of seen renewals for this user/copy category||cmc029||Y||Y|
|The user has made the maximum number of total renewals for this user||cmc044||Y||Y||N|
|The user has made the maximum number of total renewals for this user category||cmc047||Y||Y||N|
|The user has made the maximum number of total renewals for this user/copy category||cmc045||Y||Y||N|
|The user has made the maximum number of unseen renewals for this user||cmc048||Y||Y||N|
|The user has made the maximum number of unseen renewals for this user category||cmc050||Y||Y||N|
|The user has made the maximum number of unseen renewals for this user/copy category||cmc049||Y||Y||N|
|The user's current balance is in excess of the fine limit set in the user or user category record before renewals are blocked||cmc075||Y||Y||N||N||N|
|There are traps against this user and/or items the user has on loan. Please refer to the Traps lists for details||cmc032||Y||Y|
|This borrower has been archived and must be un-archived before you may proceed||cmc065||Y||N||N|
|This copy cannot be issued with the return date specified as it will be required to honour a future set reservation before this date. Try reducing the loan period and re-issuing the item||cmc061||Y||N||N|
|This copy has a current fine balance of £<CP_CF>||cmc019||Y||Y|
|This copy has reservations waiting on it - should be held||cmc011||N||N|
|This copy is in transit - only a Return In Transit transaction, Return transaction or Auto transaction is allowed||cmc035||Y||N|
|This copy is on permanent loan so it cannot be renewed||cmc054||Y||N|
|This copy is reserved by||cmc051||Y||Y||N||N||N||N|
|This copy will be trapped and held when it is returned||cmc072||N||Y||Y||N|
|This item belongs to <CP_LOLD>||cmc024||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|This item has a copy status which indicates that it is not allowed to be issued||cmc076||Y||Y||N|
|This user has charges to pay||cmc020||Y||Y||Y|
|This user has fines accruing on one or more short loan items||cmc063||Y||Y||N|
|This user has items on loan that have been recalled||cmc080||Y||Y||Y|
|This user has one or more items waiting for collection||cmc021||Y||Y|
|This user has overdue items||cmc022||Y||Y|
|This user has overdue short loan items||cmc064||Y||Y||N|
|This was not the intended location when this copy was placed in transit.||cmc037||Y||Y|
|Title has traps||cmc056||Y||Y|
|Unable to complete the issue transaction:||cmc066||Y||N|
|Unable to complete the issue transaction:||cmc069||Y||N|
|Unable to complete the renewal transaction:||cmc067||Y||N|
|Unable to complete the renewal transaction:||cmc070||Y||N|
|Unable to complete the return transaction:||cmc068||Y||N|
|Unable to complete the return transaction:||cmc071||Y||N|
|Unfortunately, you are not allowed to reserve any copies of this title.||cmc057||Y||Y|
|User has exceeded maximum number of loans||cmc001||Y||Y||N|
|User has exceeded the maximum category fine||cmc004||Y||Y||N||N|
|User has exceeded the maximum number of loans for this category||cmc003||Y||Y||N|
|User has made maximum number of reservations||cmc028||Y||Y|
|User is banned||cmc012||Y||Y||N||Y||N||N|
|User is banned from this copy category||cmc002||Y||Y||N|
|User's account expires in the following number of days:||cmc014||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|User's account has expired||cmc013||Y||Y||N||Y||N||N|
|You are attempting to issue an item which does not have a copy category||cmc034||Y||N|
|You are not allowed to reserve this title because there is at least one available copy at your home location.||cmc058||Y||Y|
|You are not allowed to reserve this title because there is at least one available copy.||cmc059||Y||Y|
|You are not allowed to reserve this title because you already have a copy of it on loan.||cmc060||Y||Y|
|You are not allowed to reserve this title because you already have a copy of it on loan.||cmc062||Y||Y|
|You are not allowed to reserve this title because you already have an active reservation for the title.||cmc074||Y||Y|
Amend and override circulation messages
Circulation Messages can be viewed, amended or a set of options can be set. For example, you can amend the text of the circulation message displayed or you can determine whether library staff can override the message or not.
The standard Circulation Messages can be accessed from the menu: Circulation Reference Data> Circulation Messages. Run a wildcard search (%) to display a full list of the circulation messages.
The Circulation Message details are displayed in the results list.
To amend a circulation message, use the modify record function as normal.
- The CMC Code field displays the unique circulation message code which now appears on screen in the Circ. Desk screen. You are advised not to change the code in this field. The code should be quoted if you need to report a problem with a message to OCLC Support.
- The text of the message which appears in OLIB Web can be altered by amending the text displayed in the OLIB Web Settings: Message Text field as required.
- You can also amend the text of the circulation message that a user will see in Folio. For example, if a user is trying to renew items through Folio. Amend or add a customised message in the OPAC Settings: Message Text field.
- Save the changes made.
Whether or not messages should display
You can determine whether or not the circulation message should display in the Issues/Returns/Renewals screen. It is advised that you read the information in the Usage field before amending the display / override settings – some settings have override set to N when the system is installed – and the Usage information advises whether this can be changed or not, e.g. NONLOANCOPYONLOAN:
Raised when you attempt to do a Non-Loan Return on a copy which is on loan
(transaction type = 'L' and copies.loanst = 'O'). Display? is set to Yes
and Allow Override? is set to No by default. Do not change.
- If you do not want the circulation message to appear at the Circ. Desk set the Display? field to No. If you do not amend this field (or set it to No) then the assumption is that the circulation message will display.
- You can determine whether library staff can override the message displayed or not. Amend the Allow Override? field to Yes or No as required. If you do not amend this field (or set it to Yes) then the assumption is that the circulation message can be overridden at the Circ. Desk.
- Save the changes made.
Distinguish between user categories and transaction types
For each message, you can apply different settings for different User Categories. For example, you may wish to set up The User is Banned message so that Library Staff cannot override the message at the Circ. Desk but Library Managers can. Set the Allow Override? field to No. for Library Staff.
You can also allow changes in behaviour based on the Transaction Type:
- To allow the Library Manager to override the message, select the Library Manager user category from the drop down list in the User Cat.-Level Settings field.
- Set Display? and Allow Override? to Yes.
- Click the >> button to add the settings to the record as shown:
|User Category||Transaction Type||Display?||Allow Override?|
In the above example, the Library Manager can now log in at the Circ. Desk and can override the circulation message should they wish to, and resolve the problem.
You can further refine by Transaction Type. In the above example, all other users can return items if this message is raised, but they cannot issue items if this message is raised. This could be used e.g. with cmc024 COPYNOTATTHISLOCATION, (The library manager is configured to override all transaction types; all other users can override COPYNOTATTHISLOCATION for a Return, but not override it for an Issue).
If you allow users to issue, return, renew or reserve items via the OPAC you can determine whether any of these functions are allowed if a circulation message is present against the copy and /or user. For example, you may wish users to still be able to renew items even though they have charges to pay. In this example, amend the This user has charges to pay circulation message as follows:
- Set the Allow Issue? field to Yes to allow users to issue items via the OPAC even though they have charges to pay.
- Set the Allow Return? field to Yes to allow users to return items via the OPAC even though they have charges to pay.
- Set the Allow Reservation? field to Yes to allow users to reserve items via the OPAC even though they have charges to pay.
- Set the Allow Renewal? field to Yes to allow users to renew items via the OPAC even though they have charges to pay. The Display if Raised? field allows you to determine whether or not the renewal should be allowed and if the message should be displayed.
The system will behave as follows:
- Allow Renewal = No; Display if Raised? = Yes – the message is displayed and the renewal is not allowed.
- Allow Renewal = No; Display if Raised? = No – the renewal is not allowed, but the message is not displayed – instead the generic renewal failure message is displayed.
- Allow Renewal = Yes – the renewal is allowed and the Display if Raised? flag is ignored.
Hide CMC codes
These are the unique circulation message codes that appear with messages on the Circ. Desk screen:
This user has one or more items waiting for collection [cmc021]
This user has charges to pay [cmc020]
User's account has expired [cmc013]
You can choose to hide or display CMC codes for library staff at the circulation desk. This is configured in the User Categories domain - you can decide which staff categories can see the codes. This determines whether or not OLIB shows the codes to the currently logged in user at the circulation desk. For example, you may only want the codes to display for system administrators.
- Go to User Management Reference Data> User Categories.
- Obtain the relevant staff category, e.g. System Manager.
- In Display CMC Code?, set to Y if you want the code to be visible.
- Save the changes.
If Display CMC Code? is set to No or if it is not set, the CMC code is not displayed to users on this user category, when alerts are displayed in the Circ. Desk screen.